Saturday, June 22, 2013

CURSE THE FANDOMS: a blog of woe


BLAST THE FANDOMS, I texted my best friend earlier today. BLAST THEM.
Here I sit at my desk in near-despair. In fandom hell, as it were. Spoiler-code forbids my revealing the source of my woe. But what does it matter which event in what storyline is the matter now; the point is that the show has wrapped and in the end the hero has broken my heart in the very act of saving it. It’s not the first time this has happened, and it most definitely won’t be the last.
Heartbreak: occupational hazard of geekism. We’ve all been here.
But Doctor, she was The Girl Who Waited…I don’t understand…
Hold on, Lady Sybil! Breathe!
Rue…not Rue...
DON’T DO IT, SHERLOCK!
One of the people I (and many others) hold in highest esteem in the realm of storytelling, and specifically writing, is one Steven Moffat, who writes shows that rhyme with, uh, Bloctor Who and Derlock. Sometimes I think I should write him something. You know, fan mail or whatever. But then I realize what it would look like:
Dear Mr. Moffat,
Thanks for ripping my heart out of my chest and stomping on it in front of me before shoving it back in upside down and dumping salt into the wound. Hope someday I can make people hate me as much as I hate you.
Thanks,
A Fan.
It’s such a weird thing. It is such a weird thing. Because I keep coming back for more. And the fact that he is able to write so enthrallingly that I grow attached to his characters and physically grieve over them is the very reason I respect his writing so much. And it’s why I never stop wanting more.
I think George R. R. Martin, author of the Game of Thrones books, caught the essence of the matter when he said, “I try to make readers feel they’ve lived the events of the book. Just as you grieve if a friend is killed, you should grieve if a fictional character is killed. You should care. If somebody dies and you just go get more popcorn, it’s a superficial experience, isn’t it?”
And that’s the thing: these writers that we love-hate so dearly are so excellent at their craft, and so cunning with their storytelling, that they are able to draw us in past a superficial fictional experience into a life-altering encounter with characters who might as well be real. That’s dang good writing.
Of course, it’s not all sad; it’s not all about the heroes dying or the traitors revealing themselves and shaking our confidence in everything we love. There’s so much to love about these parallel universes and other worlds, so much to laugh at and quote and remember and treasure.
Is the fictional world worth the heartbreak?
Psh.
Yes.
And hundreds of thousands of fans all over the world are backing me on that, as they hungrily wait for the next installment of their show or series or whatever to come out. Where does Katniss go from here? Who will the eleventh Doctor regenerate into? I’m not even going to bring up Thorin’s future. But the point is that I’m not the only one who’s stuck here mourning at a transition. And I’m not the only one willing to pay further for the experience with a broken heart.
So dear Mr. Moffat, please don’t stop. I really do hope that someday I can create stories so powerful that when something bad happens in the fictional world I’ve created, my readers will care enough to grieve too.
For now, I’ll limp through the pain knowing that I’m not alone. I’ll rage at my fandoms, but I know I’d never want to give them up just because they hurt. They do hurt.
But they’re worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment