Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I murdered my grandmother this morning.


FDR was sick to death of formalities. Life as the thirty-second President of the United States could be intense, but it could also be simply annoying. Take those insanely long receiving lines he had to endure at the White House. Hundreds of people, big dogs from all over the world, lined up to shake his hand. Meeting the President of the United States.
And nobody ever listened to what he said.
Formalities, formalities, formalities. Of the hundreds of people waiting to meet him, the President was sure not one person actually heard the few words he spoke during each greeting. Like I said, the poor guy was sick of it.
Until, however, he came up with a genius plan. At one of the formal White House events involving a long and tedious receiving line, President Roosevelt decided to change up his receiving approach. He’d still shake each person’s hand and smile politely, but instead of his typical hello-yes-welcome comment, he’d very courteously say each time, “I murdered my grandmother this morning.” I mean, that’s one way to find out if somebody’s listening or not.
I can just see his face as he thought it all over.
Well, the event began. FDR started shaking hands and calmly telling the visiting ambassadors he’d murdered his grandmother that morning. And just as he’d suspected, his guests replied, “Thank you. Well done, Mr. President. God bless you, sir.”
At last, near the end of the line, the ambassador from Bolivia approached. Upon hearing the President’s comment, the ambassador leaned forward and whispered, “I’m sure she had it coming to her.”
It’s just an urban legend, but I love it. You can Google the story and decide for yourself if you think it’s true or not; I’ve done a bit of research and haven’t found a way to either prove or disprove it. All I know is FDR had some serious spunk, and I don’t doubt that if he thought of it, he’d have done it. (I’m sitting at my desk to write this, but I’m tempted to give him a posthumous standing ovation for the story above.)
Either way, I opened this blog with that particular narrative because I think I see a parallel here somewhere, even though I can’t quite figure out where it is exactly. I’m launching one more blog out into the universe. Everybody’s got a blog. Is anybody listening?
Well, for what it’s worth, I murdered my grandmother this morning.
And that’s about it for now, except to clarify that this isn’t a properly new blog. It’s actually an old blog that I’m re-launching, and posts below are from when this was a non-fiction class blog assignment. In some cases, it’s as if a different Randi wrote them. For the record.
And last note, what to expect from this blog now that it’s launched again: basically geekism in the extreme. Writing discoveries, probably; snippets of practice fiction; perhaps book reviews; fangirl reactions to events in various parallel universes, the like.
That’s all for now. Cheers!


No grandmothers were harmed in the making of this blog post.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! What a brilliant beginning or "relaunch"..I'm sure FDR couldn't have said it better! Would love to follow this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Tyler! And I'm looking forward to continuing reading/commenting on yours as well. A bloggish summer for all;)

      Delete
  2. I'm listening. :) But don't murder Grandma! I love her!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for listening, Heather! And I promise I won't. John Bunyan did really well writing from prison...but I'd prefer to stay out.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandon! What a privilege to hear from you! So sorry for the delay; not sure how I didn't get your comment till now.
      Anyway, the answer to your question depends on which aspect of writing you're referring to. (I apologize in advance for taking your succinct question and doubling back on it with a complicated answer.)
      If you mean writing in general, as a life-passion and a dream, it was more a matter of being awakened to the fact that I was already writing, rather than being awakened to write. I have been writing since kindergarten, when I wrote a story about a boy who got to go to a birthday party. (I remember stressing out over whether or not there was too much plot tension in the fact that the main character asked his mom for a cookie and was told no.) Despite nearly incessant writing since then, though, I never considered writing a goal or an occupation or really a legitimate part of my life until I was sixteen. Then, as I prepared to graduate high school, I prayed for direction, believe it or not, and that's when I finally clued into what I had already been doing all my life. I'm not sure how I had managed to miss it for so long, but that's when I began to pursue writing in fullness.
      If, however, you mean what awakened me to write as pertains to posts like this re-launched blog—there are two reasons. Firstly, an attempt to exercise every writer-fiber of my being, in order to aid my work on my book that I'm trying to finish this summer (which I mentioned to you at the library and told you rather rudely that you couldn't read, ha). Secondly, to help myself be able to finish pieces of writing on my own terms. I've gotten too comfortable writing under pressure of deadlines set for me within classes and semesters, and have a tendency to keep writing infinitely on projects on which the only deadline is one I set myself. And however faulty or trivial, little projects like this one help me to overcome that tendency and to become better at finishing and moving on, so that I can put better habits into practice on bigger projects. Like said book.
      And what, in turn, awakened you to write?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Well said, sir!
      Indeed it could be, especially since with one brief question you spun this post off into far deeper waters than I could have foreseen when I published it—which surprise act I appreciate more than I can say.
      As for your history with my dear friends (I say even as I bow my head in reverence) Writing and Reading, I tip my proverbial hat to you for your fiendishly rapid seizing of their acquaintance. Your adroitness is impressive and inspiring to say the least; in fact, it rather tends toward daunting.
      And Story! Your mention of her name is enough to send suns blazing through the sky, sweeping the waters with wild glittering fireworks and burning the blue fabric of the atmosphere in smoldering gold glory. I'd had an inkling, shall we say, that perhaps our mutual colleague had effected such a thought, but to hear it from you, even in its newness, is a victory cry in a dark world.
      I look forward highly to discussing these things more in person, whether as part of a merry group shelving library books or in literary circles over coffee, or wherever else the wind may care to whistle.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an invitation would not be an obligation; it would be a pleasure. You may expect one quite soon, I believe.

    I wholeheartedly concur with your sentiments toward Story. Only in the past few years have I made my peace with Nonfiction at all, whom before I loathed but now respect and even value in her own place. Nonetheless, Story remains the goddess of my literary life.

    Actually, speaking of Story, it has been brought to my attention that you are delving into literary Middle-earth for the first time in the form of The Lord of the Rings. Such news is both heartening and oddly coincidental, since both our mutual acquaintance and I were already going to read them together at the same time as well, quite by accident. I applaud your choice, since LOTR has reigned as the champion and favorite of my literary love for nearly ten years (since I first read it). I must urge that if this news is true, you must also read The Hobbit, even if it is too late now to read it until after you have finished Frodo's saga (although it is preferably read before). The Hobbit is light compared to LOTR, but LOTR's deep, complex beauty is more nearly completely grasped when reflected from the surface of The Hobbit's slightly more gentle, shallow waters.

    And there is my small two cents, and since it is most thoroughly unasked for, I not only give it but also partially apologize for it. Captain Hook, you see, would chide me for my bad form. And I do love a good villain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I see!

      As you are probably aware—though the concepts and themes in Narnia are as deep and valuable as can be, the storytelling, albeit excellent, is a good bit lighter than that of the other volumes you mentioned. Therefore it might possibly feel a bit unsatisfying if read immediately after the others, unless you were prepared for the difference and didn't mind. The Hobbit is comparable to but a little heavier than Narnia, and it could prove an excellent bridge between Narnia and LOTR (which is a good deal heavier), if you cared to begin with Narnia and move in that direction. The Space Trilogy, though, I haven't gotten to read yet myself, and therefore I can't speak about it firsthand.

      Basically, no matter how you divide your time, you will win. There's no losing in a reading list like this one.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete